Monday, February 3, 2014

Homophones and the censor board

Censorship by judicial and government activism has been long been an impediment to free speech in India. The film certification board has also been party to this. I came across a case of censor board overreach from the precambrian by accident, when I was listening to a song of that time. I cannot claim full credit to the discovery because I remember someone else talking about this on All India Radio when I was very young (most likely sometime between ages 12-15). But I was overjoyed rediscover this--albeit minor--act of censorship. Unfortunately I am unable to cite the original radio show and I am confident that my parents, who were also listening to the program, would also be unable to do so.


The song, "Vandha naal mudhal", one of my favourite Kannadasan songs figures in the movie "Paava Mannippu". The movie boasts of a cast with legends such as MR Radha, Sivaji Ganesan, TS Balaiya, Savithri, and many others, and I recommend it to anybody who is interested in three hours of melodrama and MR Radha's sheer brilliance. The song itself is a lament about the imperfections of human morality and how man's caprice has been a challenge in creating a better society.

Anyway, the song has a line, "Edhanai kandan panam thanai padaithan". The poet says that man was inspired to invent planes after seeing birds take flight, he created radio taking inspiration from echoes (while the second inspiration may not be wholly true, the effect it has in Tamil poetry is remarkable). But the poet wonders why man created money (panam)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiAD_5iGSOA

Except, this is not the actual question Kaviarasar wanted to ask. The verses in question start from 2:30 and the exact line of interest is around 2:45. One can clearly hear the change in TMS's voice when he pronounces "panam". A crude, ill disguised cut and paste job. The question he wanted to ask was "Edhanai kandan madham thanai padaithan". One can also see Sivaji lip syncing those words. The censor board seems to have concluded that using madham (religion) instead of panam was "sensitive" and could hurt "religious sentiments". Another very interesting observation is the use of another "madham" in the same song. This madham on the other hand means rage or madness. The poet says "Manidhan marivittan, madhathil eri vittan", suggesting that man has changed and has lost his sense of morality. Tamil has this tendency of throwing  some homophones that make you pause and wonder. Religion and a fit of rage that causes you to lose your sense of morality have the same pronunciation? Naughty Murugar, naughty Agathiyar. I noticed another very interesting pair of words recently that are both pronounced "irai", but spelled differently using two different "ra's"--whose utility and usage I never endeavored to understand. These two mean food and god. How apt! "Search for food before you search for god" is painted on a nondescript plaque hanging somewhere on the walls of the Madurai Meenakshi amman temple.

Now the whole thing begs the big question as to which is more harmful money or religion? I think my answer is quite clear from the preceding sentences. Money is far more useful in the present day than religion. Money was far more useful than religion back in 1961 (the year the movie was released). Imagine what you would do without money? Go back to barter system? Use precious metals? That would be most unpleasant. On the other hand, religion, although not totally deleterious, is much more dispensable than money. We could all do with some peace, quiet and reason. Kaviarasar was right the first time around!

1 comment:

  1. Great observation! Can you please include a link to the original song? I vaguely remember hearing the original version in my childhood, but never was able to find it online.

    ReplyDelete